Steven Pressfield: Resistance & the Pro
- The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks and Win Your Inner Creative Battles
- Turning Pro: Tap Your Inner Power and Create Your Life’s Work
- Do the Work: Overcome Resistance and Get Out of Your Own Way (a manifesto) — also available as an unabridged audio book in iTunes and in Amazon’s Audible, narrated by Steven Pressfield, himself
I don’t often get to read books from cover to cover, but I read every word of these three, diligently! And I also bought the audio version of Do the Work, so I can listen to it while I’m on my walk along the river.
This interview in the above video, by Nick Williams (who asked some great questions), took place at Pressfield’s home near Malibu on February 2nd 2005.
What Pressfield has named Resistance, I recognise as being the subtle self-sabotage that I have been researching astrologically since 1988.
Also referred to psychologically as “unconscious anxiety”, this insidious sabotage had been triggering within my clients and students (and at times, in myself!) by two of the eight Transneptunian Points in our birth charts. This has been the major focus of my work for the past 30 years.
I have been clinically researching all eight of these mysterious Transneptunian Points of energy, which were originally discovered in the 1920s by the brilliantly innovative German astrologer, Alfred Witte, and his student and colleague, Friedrich Seiggrün.
Of course, any astrological effect has its ultimate cause in the mindstream.
Where Pressfield makes a Jungian reference here, my focus has been on Buddhist psychology to further understand the multi-layers of mind beyond what is acknowledged in Western neuroscience. This has been enormously fruitful, as astrology has dovetailed with this ancient knowledge perfectly.
I have also finally found the part of the brain where this subtle self-sabotage resonates within those of us who know we should be doing more powerful and specialised work in the world. And, through the help of professional colleagues from other fields, I have been able to delve deeply into the initial cause of this sabotage in the psyche.
This dark, ever-lurking saboteur is so subtle that it does, indeed—as Pressfield mentions in this interview—cause life-threatening diseases and other disasters when we allow the resistance to take hold of our lives… Yet, there is another side to it, a very bright side, which I shall elaborate upon in my forthcoming book series.
I began writing the book on this extreme subtle self-sabotage (I have a few titles in mind at present) in 1998, ten years after I began the clinical research into its origins and outcomes. And this work will be finally ready for publication in early 2017, along with other supporting books in the same series. It will be available in both ebook format on all platforms and also in a paper version via Amazon.
If this subject resonates with you, please consider doing two things:
- First, buy and read Steven Pressfield’s books, The War of Art and Turning Pro. My books will go more deeply into the ultimate source of this self-sabotage, or Resistance, as Pressfield names it; but he has written two bitingly thorough kick-in-the-pants books on how to manage this subtle phenomenon. Highly valuable!
- Put yourself on my mailing list (button below), as my Exceptional Purpose Resources newsletter will not only offer some useful information and inspiration for you about my ongoing research, but will announce the publishing dates of my books, ensuring you can take advantage of launch and pre-launch time-sensitive discounts. Plus you will begin to receive my downloadable Exceptional Purpose Resource Guides series of ebooklets in my next newsletters. And you can immediately grab a copy of my 2008 published magazine article, ‘Cult or Consciousness’, on our present crazy 16-year astrological paradigm.
You can find more about Steven Pressfield at stevenpressfield.com
May you always live your Exceptional Purpose!
Have a comment? Let’s have a discussion on my reciprocal G+ post